Release Date/Time: 6/9/2016 8:08 AM
Incident: How to exchange info at collision scene
Report #: N/A
Date: Thursday, 6/9/2016
Time: 8:09 AM
Location: 222 Lincoln Ave.
How to exchange information at the scene of a traffic collision.
Due to staffing concerns, many police departments (including the Salinas Police Department) will not be available to respond to non-injury traffic collisions where no crime has been committed. If you are involved in a non-injury traffic collision, it may be necessary to do an exchange of information. Below are instructions on how to properly do so.
Call for a police officer to respond if:
• You suspect the other driver is under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
• There is an injury.
• The other driver does not have a driver's license or insurance.
• The other driver flees the scene.
• The other driver is not willing to exchange information.
• You feel that you are in danger.
If the other driver is not under the influence and has a driver's license and insurance, you should exchange information. Information you should obtain:
• The other driver's name, address, phone number, and driver's license number. (Make sure you read this off of the driver's license and compare the picture on the license to the person with whom you are speaking)
• Write down the other driver's insurance information to include the company name and the policy number. • Get a vehicle description of all involved vehicles to include; License plate number, Make, Model, and color. You can get this information from the vehicle registration.
• If you have a camera or a camera on your phone, take pictures of all involved vehicles. Pictures should include an overall shot of the car, a picture of the license plate, and pictures of all damage to each vehicle.
• Get name, phone number, and a statement from any uninvolved witnesses.
Instead of writing down the other driver's information, it might be easier to take photos of all of this information including driver's license, insurance card, etc. Call your insurance company and give them this information and explain what happened.
If your insurance company wants a police report, you can later make a traffic report online or make a desk report at the Police Department. For a desk report, come to the Salinas Police Department at 222 Lincoln Avenue. The desk officer will give you the form and instruct you on what to do. Advise your insurance company of the report number. To file a report online, go to salinaspd.com and click on the button that says 'make a report.” Follow the directions from there and add all of the information you collected at the scene. Advise your insurance company of the report number.
It often is not necessary or required by your insurance company to have a police report to file a claim for a non-injury collision.
Release Authorized by: Gerard Ross
Telephone: (831) 758-7250