Release Date/Time: 5/19/2015 1:31 PM
Incident: Avoid the 20 Memorial Day Weekend
Report #: N/A
Date: Tuesday, 5/19/2015
Time: 1:31 PM
Location: Monterey and San Benito Counties
Memorial Day Weekend Holiday DUI Crackdown. Police, Sheriff & CHP Team up for High Visibility DUI Campaign Set for Holiday Weekend
Salinas CA – The Avoid the 20 DUI Task Force is deploying officers this holiday weekend at a DUI/Driver's License Checkpoint and DUI Saturation Patrols countywide to stop and arrest drunk or drugged drivers and to heighten awareness of the deadly impact of alcohol and drugs on this first holiday weekend of the summer season. It's the college and high school graduation season which will see many celebrations. Law enforcement is reminding everyone not to drink and drive, nor ride with someone who has been drinking. Additional officers will deploy to stop and arrest those who drive impaired by either alcohol or drugs.
The summer season has arrived with the 3-day holiday weekend kicking off weekend trips and celebrations. Law enforcement reminds everyone to make sure to use a ‘Designated Sober Driver' to prevent arrest or worse, a deadly driving tragedy. The County's DUI Task Force kicks off Friday night by deploying a DUI/Driver's License checkpoint in Salinas with special DUI Saturation Patrols deploying in several cities throughout both counties. More local DUI Saturation Patrols will be on throughout the weekend. The California Highway Patrol is deploying all available officers Memorial Day weekend onto freeways and county roads as part of their Maximum Enforcement Period.
Law enforcement region-wide is asking for everyone's support this holiday weekend and all summer long:
• DDVIP: The California Office of Traffic Safety DDVIP app is now available for free download on iOS and Android devices. Launched last year the new DDVIP app offers enhanced features, allowing users to 'Map a Spot” with their current location to find DDVIP partnering establishments in their area or a 'List of Spots” to search all participating bars and restaurants throughout California. Users can stay up-to-date with the latest from DDVIP and see what other users are saying via its social tab. Also through the app, for those who want to imbibe but also make it a point to plan ahead, users can easily order a sober ride from Uber, Lyft or Curb – all from one screen.
• Plan ahead. Arrange rides home for your friends, family, co-workers and yourself before the drinking begins.
• Those hosting celebrations and servers must limit drinks to your guests or patrons. Don't serve more than one or two over several hours.
• Identify and provide free non-alcoholic drinks to the Designated Sober Driver.
• Cut back on the amount of drinks you plan to bring to the party – and provide plenty of food.
• If you see dangerous driving, Report Drunk Drivers – Call 9-1-1! In addition to the Memorial Day DUI crackdown, law enforcement nationwide is looking to stop and ticket those who have failed to buckle up or secure young passengers. Remember Click It or Ticket!
Funding for the Avoid DUI Task Force is by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The Avoid Task Force will deploy checkpoints and DUI patrols next during the Independence Day Holiday and for the summer August/Labor Day DUI Mobilization.
Release Authorized by: Gerard Ross
Telephone: (831) 758-7250