Attempted Murder-Shooting

Release Date/Time: 2/21/2017 1:03 PM

Incident: Attempted Murder-Shooting

Report #: 17-020806

Date: Friday, 2/17/2017

Time: 6:25 PM

Location: 1500 Cottonwood Dr.

On February 17, 2017, at approximately 6:25 PM, Salinas Police officers responded to a shooting in the 1500 blk of Cottonwood Dr. A few minutes later, we received a call of another victim of a shooting near the area of Bison Way and Buckhorn Dr. Officers arrived on Cottonwood and found a 23-year-old male suffering from a gunshot wound to his head. He was transported to Natividad Medical Center with a non-life-threatening injury. Officers also responded to Bison Way and Buckhorn Dr., where the found a 24-year-old female suffering from a gunshot wound to her arm. In the vehicle with the female was a 5-year-old child, who was not injured. The female was also transported to NMC where she was treated for her wounds.

Investigation revealed when the male victim left his home, a male with a handgun confronted him. For unknown reasons, the suspect shot at the male victim several times and struck him once in the head. The female victim was parked across the street and when she heard the gunshots, she started her car and began to drive out of the area. The suspect noticed her leaving and fired several rounds at her vehicle, striking the vehicle several times and, ultimately, injuring her. The female victim drove out of the area and called 911 when she felt it was safe to do so.

The only description of the shooter was a Hispanic male with long hair, wearing a baseball hat. The suspect fled on foot and it is unknown if he get into a vehicle or continued on foot. This shooting is considered gang related.

If anyone has any information regarding this shooting, please contact the Salinas Police Department Investigations Bureau at (831) 758-7226. If you would like to remain anonymous, you can call the Salinas Police Department Anonymous Tip Line at 831-775-4222, or the We-Tip Line at 1-800-78-CRIME. You may be eligible for up to a $1,000 reward.

Release Authorized by: Christopher Lane, Investigations Sergeant

Telephone: (831) 758-7496

Question of the Day

What can I do if there is a loud party in my neighborhood?

If someone is having a loud party in your neighborhood you may call the Police Department for assistance. When deciding whether to call the police you must also decide whether the noise is at a level that your peace is being disturbed. If it is, you next need to decide whether you would be willing to press formal charges in order to get the noise to stop or be turned down to a tolerable level.

Most often, the mere fact that you are willing to press charges will help us to solve the problem so that no actual charges need be pressed. If you...

Our Latest News via Twitter